MSSGE Setup with Xilinx 14.x and Matlab 2012b
This page explains how to set up the MSSGE toolflow for CASPER development with the Xilinx 14.x tools and Matlab 2012a/b.
- Note: Compiling for ROACH1/2 can use a lot of RAM. We recommend that you have more than 8GB for your 14.4 compilation machines and ideally an SSD.
- Ubuntu 12.04 64bit / RHEL6 / CentOS 6.2 x64. (This page is aimed at Ubuntu, although RHEL is supported by Xilinx)
- Matlab R2012a/b
- Xilinx v14.x (Latest 14.7)
- MSSGE libraries
- Install the Operating System
- Install Matlab 2012a/b
- Install Xilinx 14.x (System Edition)
- Clone the mlib_devel repository ("git clone git://github.com/casper-astro/mlib_devel.git")
- Create a startsg.local file in the root mlib_devel directory to specify your Xilinx and Matlab install path. This should contain the three definitions (changed to suit your particular setup):
export MATLAB_PATH=/opt/MATLAB/R2012b export XILINX_PATH=/opt/Xilinx/14.7/ISE_DS export XILINX_PLATFORM=lin64
You can now start system generator by running startsg "./startsg"
Tweaks to be able to compile
Xilinx removed support for several hardware pcores we use for ROACH1/2 from the 14 versions. So the current solution is to add the following pcores from the Xilinx 11 install to your XPS_ROACH_BASE/pcores folder or to your 14 install directory at Xilinx/14.7/ISE_DS/EDK/hw/XilinxProcessorIPLib/pcore. Link to the 11 opb pcores
The syntax in the Xilinx Perl scripts is not supported under the Ubuntu default shell Dash. Change the symbolic link sh -> dash to sh -> bash:
- cd /bin/
- sudo rm sh
- sudo ln -s bash sh
Point gmake to make by creating the symbolic link gmake -> make:
- cd /usr/bin/
- sudo ln -s make gmake
If you are not getting any blocks in Simulink (Seen in CentOS) change the permissions on /tmp/LibraryBrowser to a+rwx:
- chmod a+rwx /tmp/LibraryBrowser
Upgrades to the Tool-Flow Repository
- bee_xps has changed to casper_xps, this means that to run compile your design you need to now run casper_xps NOT bee_xps!
- The BEE2_XPS_LIB_PATH has been changed to XPS_BASE_PATH, you will need to update your startsg scripts with this.
- The xps_lib directory has been changed to xsp_base, this also requires a change to the start scripts.
- The name of the yellow block library has changed to casper xps blockset, update this in your start scripts.
- BEE_XPS_HW_ROUTES.mat has changed to xps_hw_routes.mat
- All code pertaining to iBOBs and BEE2s is removed, including the plb bus.
- The GAVRT lib has been removed.